Heartburn Relief from Our Bala Cynwyd Gastroenterologists
Before you grab that bottle of tums, think again. Heartburn is the regurgitation of stomach acids into your throat, which can creep up and make you uncomfortable at the most inconvenient times. At G.I. Specialists, we can work with you to determine the best way to combat your heartburn. Whether you require medication or a simple lifestyle change, we can help you find relief from your heartburn so you can complete your daily activities without discomfort.
Let’s take a look at some lifestyle changes you can make to improve your health and relieve your heartburn:
1. Reduce the amount of acidic foods and drinks you consume.
2. Cut out or limit greasy foods such as hamburgers, fast food and other fatty meals.
3. Fizzy drinks, coffee and tea, or other caffeinated products should be reduced or eliminated completely.
4. Eat slowly—eating quickly can bring on heartburn faster.
5. If you require medication for daily heartburn relief, you might have GERD. Visit one of our gastroenterologists in Bala Cynwyd for further diagnosis.
6. Seek specialized care while pregnant, as this is the most common time for a female to get heartburn.
7. When exercising, wait a couple hours after eating before attempting any form of physical exercise.
8. Quit smoking to increase the strength of your muscles within the LES valve, which helps to prevent acid reflux from occurring.
9. Maintain a healthy weight. Extra pounds can put pressure on your stomach, causing acid to back up into your esophagus.
10. Relax. How much stress you are under can have a significant impact on your heartburn severity.
Schedule an appointment with one of our gastroenterologists in Bala Cynwyd by calling (610) 664-9700 for heartburn relief. With a consultation at G.I. Specialists, we can help you find relief from your discomfort so that you can live a life without constant heartburn.