My Stomach Hurts! Should I See a Doctor?
Common causes of stomach pain
Most people, at one time or another, have experienced stomach pain commonly called a stomach ache. Stomach pain can be intermittent or continuous, and the pain can be sharp or dull, and everything in between. If your stomach hurts, it might be time to stop in and see your gastroenterologist in Bala Cynwyd, Dr. Geoffrey Braden.
Some of the main reasons you might feel stomach pain are from inflammation, intestinal problems or infection. You can also feel stomach pain if you have the flu, or are under a lot of stress. Sometimes pain is just one symptom. You might also experience constipation, diarrhea or vomiting. The pain can be in one spot (localized), or spread out (generalized).
Stomach pain can also happen from diseases including:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Crohn’s Disease (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Lactose Intolerance (can’t digest lactose, sugar found in milk and other dairy products)
- There are some things you can do at home to relieve stomach pain. You can try:
- A simple diet of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (BRAT) for a day or two
- Taking small amounts of lemon or lime juice
- Eating food in smaller amounts
- Taking small amounts of baking soda
- Taking ginger or peppermint
- Licorice and chamomile tea
- Medications and antacids such as Pepto-Bismol and Zantac
It is important that you stop smoking and drinking alcohol. You should also avoid aspirin or NSAID medications until the doctor finds out what is causing your pain. These medications can cause bleeding and may make your symptoms or condition worse.
If you find that the stomach pain does not go away, you might need to see your gastroenterologist for a consultation. You should make an appointment if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- A fever greater than 101 degrees
- Vomiting blood or bloody stools
- Finding it hard to breathe
- Yellowing of your eyes and skin
- Swelling of your abdomen
- If pain is so bad you can’t sit still or need to curl up to get relief
The doctors of Gastrointestinal Specialists can help, so if you are having stomach pain, you owe to yourself to get some relief. Stop by for a quick consultation with Dr. Geoffrey Braden today!