Posts for tag: Shoulder Dislocation

By Gastrointestinal Specialists
March 06, 2019
Category: Gastroenterologist

How your shoulder doctor in Bergen County, NJ, can help you

If you’ve dislocated your shoulder, it can dramatically affect your life by keeping you from performing your daily activities. If you have Shoulder dislocation injured your shoulder in an accident, it may be tempting to wait and see if the pain resolves, but it’s far easier to seek out an expert, such as an orthopedic specialist. Dr. Roger G. Pollock in Bergen County, NJ, is an experienced orthopedic specialist and can help if you have dislocated your shoulder—read on to learn how!


More about Shoulder Dislocation

You can dislocate your shoulder in an accident, sports injury, or any other physical trauma. A dislocated shoulder means that your upper arm bone has popped out of the socket in your shoulder blade.

According to the Mayo Clinic, some common signs and symptoms of a dislocated shoulder include:

  • A visibly out-of-place shoulder
  • A bruised or swollen shoulder
  • Intense, continuous pain
  • Inability to move your shoulder
  • Muscle spasms in your shoulder
  • Numbness, tingling, or weakness which can run down your arm

If you suffer any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek out the services of your doctor. You should also immobilize your shoulder joint by wearing a sling and apply ice to your shoulder to reduce swelling and pain.


What We Can Do For You

Your doctor will do a comprehensive examination of your shoulder which may include x-rays and other imaging. A treatment plan will be designed to heal your shoulder and give you back mobility and flexibility. Common treatments include:

  • Gentle manipulation to realign your shoulder; you may be given a sedative, muscle relaxant, or anesthetic to reduce pain during manipulation.
  • Surgery, if necessary, to repair ligaments, muscles, or nerves
  • Immobilization using a sling or splint to eliminate shoulder movement while your shoulder heals
  • Medication which may include muscle relaxants, pain relievers, and anti-inflammatories
  • Rehabilitation, which may include strength training and physical therapy

If you have dislocated your shoulder, you need the help of an expert to give you back your strength, flexibility, and mobility. Call Dr. Roger G. Pollock, your orthopedic shoulder specialist in Bergen County, New Jersey, today at (201) 612-9774!