Our Gastroenterology Blog
Posts for: August, 2018
Colon cancer affects thousands of Americans. According to the American Cancer Society's statistics, more than 95,000 people were diagnosed with colon cancer in 2016. The best way to avoid colon cancer is by visiting your Bala Cynwyd, Langhorne, and Philadelphia, PA, doctor.
A colonoscopy is when your doctor examines the lining of your intestines. They check for abnormalities, like polyps, using a thin flexible tube that's inserted into the anus. The instrument allows your doctor to see what's in the lining on a monitor.
Importance of a Colonoscopy
A routine visit to your doctor for a colonoscopy is how most people detect cancer during its earliest stages. Board-certified physicians want their patients to schedule an appointment for a colonoscopy, or a flexible sigmoidoscopy, as soon as possible.
The CDC recommends adults aged 50 to 75 visit their gastroenterologist on a regular basis. Colorectal cancer usually begins as a small polyp in the colon. At first, the polyps aren't cancerous but may develop cancer over time. If you take the proper precautions of screening and keeping an eye out for symptoms, cancer can be treated or prevented.
Colon Cancer Symptoms:
Symptoms aren't always obvious. Here are the symptoms you need to keep an eye out for according to the doctors in Bala Cynwyd, Langhorne, and Philadelphia:
- Bowel Habit Changes: If you are suffering from Colon constipation, or diarrhea, for more than four weeks, that may be a sign of cancer.
- Incomplete Evacuation: If there are constant bowel movements, even if you've just had a bowel movement, then you need to contact your doctor.
- Blood in Your Stool: Hemorrhoids are usually accompanied by blood in stool, but may also be a sign of a more serious condition like cancer.
If you would like more information on colonoscopies and screening procedures, you can contact the doctors at Gastrointestinal Specialists. If you are in Bala Cynwyd, Langhorne, and Philadelphia, PA, call to schedule an appointment today!
- August (2)
- Colon Cancer (5)
- Heartburn (5)
- Colon Cancer Screening (3)
- Stomach Pain (4)
- heartburn treatment (1)
- heartburn symptoms (1)
- Gastroenterologist (1)
- Colonoscopy (8)
- Endoscopy (1)
- Reflux Disease (1)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (2)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (1)
- Upper Endoscopy (1)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (1)
- IBD (1)
- Acid Reflux (1)
- Hepatitis (1)