Our Gastroenterology Blog
Posts for: July, 2018
Stomach pain can be a sign of a number of issues. In many cases, stomach pains are temporary and associated with issues like gas, indigestion, or an adverse or allergic reaction to a particular food. However just like pain anywhere else in the body, chronic or severe stomach pains may be a sign of a more serious issue. The gastroenterologists at Gastrointestinal Specialists offer diagnostic and treatment options in the Bala Cynwyd, Langhorne, and Philadelphia, PA, area for digestive problems and issues like acid reflux/GERD, Celiac Disease, and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
Stomach Pain Diagnosis and Treatment
The first step in treating your stomach pain is to determine the underlying cause. If you are not sure if or when to see a doctor for stomach pain or other digestive symptoms, here are a few general guidelines to consider:
- Are you suffering from new or recurring symptoms like pain, heartburn, acid reflux, constipation, unexplained weight loss or changes in bowel habits?
- Do your symptoms last more than a week, or alleviate and then return again?
- Have you already been diagnosed with a digestive problem like colitis or Crohn's Disease?
- Is there blood in your stool?
- Are you experiencing stomach pain with other symptoms like fever or exhaustion and loss of appetite?
Depending on your symptoms and other factors, a gastroenterologist may recommend an endoscopy (a diagnostic test that uses an instrument equipped with a small light and camera that allows the doctor to see inside your esophagus and digestive tract).
Depending on your diagnosis and the underlying cause of your stomach pain, treatment might include lifestyle and diet modifications and medication.
If you are experiencing ongoing or chronic stomach pain that does not alleviate with conservative treatments or dietary changes, or is accompanied by other symptoms like fever, fatigue, or changes in bowel movements, it is important to see a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and treatment. For more information, contact Gastrointestinal Specialists by calling 610-664-9700 to schedule an appointment in Bala Cynwyd, 215-632-3500 for Philadelphia, or 215-702-7090 for Langhorne.
- August (2)
- Colon Cancer (5)
- Heartburn (5)
- Colon Cancer Screening (3)
- Stomach Pain (5)
- heartburn treatment (1)
- heartburn symptoms (1)
- Gastroenterologist (1)
- Colonoscopy (8)
- Endoscopy (1)
- Reflux Disease (1)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (2)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (1)
- Upper Endoscopy (1)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (1)
- IBD (1)
- Acid Reflux (1)
- Hepatitis (1)
- Shoulder Dislocation (1)
- Colonoscopies (1)